It’s no secret that I’ve fallen off my own #52weeks bandwagon. Between my day job and a project of passion I’ve undertaken, I’m on the hook for 3-5 blog posts and various communications throughout the week, which leaves me at the end of the day with very little energy to take to WordPress/Tumblr/Twitter with the fury of a thousand ‘saurusrexes.
Not to long ago, however, I got a little blog love from Kim, who is kicking everyone’s ass writing for #52weeks. In a post on her blog, she nominated me (and a few others!) for the Liebster Award, an award given by bloggers to other bloggers in recognition of their kick-ass bloggerness. Most importantly, the Liebster Award is meant for bloggers who haven’t amassed a huge following but who still have strong voices that need to be heard.
we’re supposed to be adults, gold stars don’t fall out of the sky. So hell yes, I will take my blog sticker seal and love the crap out of it, I do not care how chain-lettery it is mmmkay?! There’s a question and answer portion to this awards business, so let’s do this!
2. Thank the person that nominated you. All appropriate lovins + appreciation to Kim, who, you guys, bakes delicious cookies and who has been one accomplished lady knocking out the blog posts all year long.
3. Post a link to their blog on your blog. Her blog, Four Good Ideas for all to enjoy.
4. Display the award on your blog and include it in your post and/or display it using a widget.
Okay, I found *two* seals for this thing. Here you go!
Another rule: List the rules in your post. I think I did that, yeah?
5. Answer the 11 questions about yourself provided by the person who nominated you.
- What is your favorite food/beverage pairing? Spicy beer + tacos from Tacolicious. Or San Pellegrino and dark chocolate.
- Tell me about the first story/blog/poem etc. that you ever wrote. Actually… I can’t even remember. But there’s one blog that sticks with me really, really hard from way back when on the internet. During my senior year of high school– two weeks before graduation, actually– my great grandmother had a mini-stroke + heart attack that, combined with dimentia, was the beginning of the end for her. I took to LiveJournal and wrote out my feels and I think even though not very many people read it, it was probably my favorite time that I’ve worked out a case of the feels on the web.
- Do you think your birth order has impacted your personality? If so, in what ways? Hmm, probably… but not in the way you’d think. I was an only child for 8 years– and then all of the sudden, I just wasn’t. Despite having a brother, I’m still very much “only child” with a smattering of “oldest child” here and there.
- Do you believe in astrology? Why or why not? I don’t think so. It just sort of seems commonsensical to me to think that all of these people born around a certain time of year would share similar personality traits… not sure that stars are responsible for that at all.
- Star Trek or Star Trek Next Generation? Discuss. (If your answer is Voyager orDeep Snooze Nine, skip this question.) Um, neither?
- Who is funnier in your opinion, Bill Murray or Tom Hanks? Why? Tom Hanks, because his face offends me less and because I still laugh at all the same parts of Forrest Gump all this time later.
- If you could change one thing about your physical appearance, what would it be and why? The honest answer to this: my tummy. Y’all can have it. Because even when I hit the smallest number I’ve ever seen on the scales in my adult life, there’s STILL someone who peeps up and asks me how far along I am and if I know whether it’s a girl or boy. #rude
- Name a work of literature or art that inspired you. There are so, so very many. But if I had to name one work of art that has its own special place in my heart, it is Jan van Eyck’s “Annunciation” that is in the permanent collection of the National Gallery of Art. I just love it so very much– and I’m not even really a religious person.
- Finish this sentence: My favorite thing about Halloween is… the costumes. I love nothing more than dressing up to the nines and leaving the house in the morning.
- What do you think we can do better to end hunger around the world? To end hunger, we need to prevent hunger… and to do that, we need to work to teach people how to take better care of the planet we live on, period. Whether we’re educating them about agriculture or sustainable for the first time, teaching people how to take better care of our planet will help it last longer and perhaps curb some of the climate damage we’ve already done.
- Name the celebrity that you dislike the most. Why? I can’t stand Kim Kardashian. I think that her image encourages young girls and women to cake on layers upon layers of makeup, fake lashes, clothes that don’t cover a damned thing and shoes that will destroy their ability to walk. There’s very little about natural beauty wrapped up in her branding.. and we won’t even touch that whole sex tape business.
6. Give 11 random facts about yourself.
1) Forget grey hair– I have white hair in the form of a somewhat-hidden birthmark on the back of my head.
2) If I had a secret superpower, it would be finding the one security engineer in any give location.
3) I’m an expert in making banana bread… mine includes caramelized white chocolate.
4) In high school, I was co-captain of the academic bowl team.
5) I’m not-so-secretly a reality TV addict.
6) I’m afraid of snakes, spiders and heights.
7) Once upon a time, I didn’t know that beets changed the color of your urine… and I was convinced after gorging on them for a weekend that I something was seriously wrong and I was totally going to die from it.
8) I stopped watching Doctor Who in the middle of the Amy Pond/River Song crazyness with Eleven and I’m not mad about it.
9) Bleu cheese is my mortal enemy.
10) I wanted to be an archaeologist and Egyptologist when I was 8 years old.
11) My favorite iPhone case has BUGS on it.
8. Create a new list of questions for the nominated bloggers to answer.
- Of all the things you wanted to be when you grew up, which is your favorite?
- Do you watch the news these days? Why or why not?
- What was the most important lesson you learned while in school?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- Where would you most like to visit in the world?
- What’s your favorite film, and why?
- Cilantro: do you love it or hate it?
- Name the most frustrating piece of technology you’ve ever owned.
- Name the most frustrating piece of technology you’ve ever had to work with.
- Do you have a favorite NickToon?
- What is your most-hated Christmas song?